A wish(that)+ 主语+ 过去时(虚拟语气;参见第290节B)这一结构用于对现在的状况表示遗憾:
I wish I knew his address.
但愿我了解他的地址就好了。等于:
Im sorry I dont know his address.
非常遗憾,我不了解他的地址。
I wish you could1 drive a car.
我真期望你会开车。等于:
Im sorry you cant drive a car.
真可惜你不会开车。
I wish hs was2 coming with us.
我多期望他能跟大家一块儿。等于:
Im sorry he isnt coming with us.
真遗憾他不可以跟大家一块儿。
wish可用在过去时中而不改变虚拟的意思:
He wished he knew the address.
他多期望他了解那个地址。等于:
He was sorry he didnt know the address.
他感到遗憾他不了解那个地址。
在间接引语中,虚拟过去时形式不需要变化:
I wish I lived nearer my work,he said3.
但愿我住得离工作地再近点,他说。等于:
He said he wished he lived nearer his work.
他说但愿他能住得离工作地再近点。
B wish(that)+ 主语+ 过去完成时(虚拟语气)表示对过去的状况表示遗憾:
I wish(that) I hadnt spent so much money.
但愿我没花掉这么多钱就好了。等于:
Im sorry I spent so much money.
真后悔我花去了这么多钱。
I wish you had4 written to him.
但愿你给他写过信就好了。等于:
Im sorry you didnt write to him.
真遗憾你没给他写信。
wished可代替wish而不改变虚拟的意思:
I wished I hadnt spent so much money.等于:
I was sorry I had spent so much money.
(译文同上。)
变为间接引语时,这类动词不需要变化:
I wished I had taken his advice5,she said.
但愿我当时听了他的劝告就好了,她说。等于:
She(said she) wished she had taken his advice.
她(说她)但愿当时听了他的劝告就好了。
C if only的使用方法与此一模一样。它的意思与 wish相同,只不过比wish更生动:
If only we knew where to look for him!
假如大家了解上哪儿去找他就好了!
If only she had asked someones advice!
倘若她早请教其他人一下就好了!